This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxH2O View Post
    Hey everybody, got what may be a difficult question here.

Got a slight concern when using ITA to look for actual fare routings (thus making it eligible for award travel).

As we all know, all awards have been one-way for quite some time now. One routing I may want to book is looking really strange and I'm worried about its allowability when award space becomes available.

Here is exactly what I see as far as filed fares:

CNS-HKG-TPE no fare filed by CX as far as I can tell
    TPE-HKG-CNS-HKG-TPE round-trip fare filed by CX
    TPE-HKG-MEL one-way filed by CX
    TPE-HKG-MEL, CNS-HKG-TPE as an open-jaw comes in as round-trip fare to MEL on ITA

I will eventually (when award space becomes available) book TPE-HKG-MEL, CNS-HKG-TPE on CX as a "open-jaw", but as we all know they're all really one-way tickets now. Will the fact that there is possibly no CNS-TPE one-way fare exists in that direction cause the award to break at HKG? Or will the fact that a "round-trip" or "open-jaw" fare exists override that and put it back as one award?

Thanks everybody, look forward to your responses and adjusting accordingly.
    You'll need exact direction to exist as a published, one-way, fare.

Comment

Originally posted by JonNYC View Post
      You'll need exact direction to exist as a published, one-way, fare.
      Wow, that was quick, although the answer was what I expected. When award space opens up we'll see what happens, although I'll be prepared to find a routing with a filed fare just in case (MEL/SYD-TPE as an example).

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TxH2O View Post
        Wow, that was quick, although the answer was what I expected. When award space opens up we'll see what happens, although I'll be prepared to find a routing with a filed fare just in case (MEL/SYD-TPE as an example).

Thanks.
        As we've seen lately, ya' definitely never really know if one might get approved that doesn't -seem- to have much of an explanation, so certainly never hurts to ask them.

Comment

As we've seen lately, ya' definitely never really know if one might get approved that doesn't -seem- to have much of an explanation, so certainly never hurts to ask them.
          Which is exactly what I will do when that elusive CX award space opens up. I may even argue the round-trip/open-jaw angle at that point if I have to, especially since that whole routing will actually be on the same record locator. Will report back with an answer, but it may be months away since this is early 2015 travel.

Comment

Very recently they had updated to include the new QR 3rd zone exceptions:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/

However, I just noticed in the very latest version, these exceptions added:

North America to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

Central/South America Zone 1 to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

South America Zone 2 to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

Can now all connect in: (don't ask me to explain the obvious weirdness of this grouping)
            OK, connection zone has been fine-tuned a bit:

New version is:

North America to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

Central/South America Zone 1
            to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

South America Zone 2
            to Indian Sub Cont/Middle East

Can now all connect in:
            Europe & Bhutan /British Indian Ocean Territory /Sri Lanka

Comment

Info from a call yesterday to AA. I wanted to verify that one can travel on QR from USA-DOH-Africa as 1 award. The answer is yes. I'm not sure in one can add an AA/US connecting flight to the QR gateway city in the USA. Next, I inquired if the same QR exception for an award Europe-DOH-Africa. No go. One must use BA to Africa if you want a Europe-Africa award.

But here is the interesting part of the conversation. I asked about Europe-DOH-MPM (Maputo, Mozambique) since it is close to S. Africa and QR flies there. The astonishing answer was you cannot use AA miles to fly to Maputo. Not even as 2 awards thru DOH. The agent was amazed that a city with oneworld service cannot use AA miles to fly there. I know that there is a Cuba exception and an Iraq exception, but Mozambique?

Comment

As I first became aware of in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24979352-post1199.html

effective sometime before now, connections in DOH QR-> QR allowed on Europe <-> S. Pacific award

Comment

I can't believe I don't know this, but here it is:

Let's say I fly GIG-LIM-SCL, admittedly traveling across two zones (South America 2 > South America 1 > South America 2). There is no stopover in LIM.

Will it be 15K for a single, one way award for traveling between SA2 and SA1, or 30K because I'm crossing zones twice and therefore would be two separate awards?

Comment

Jon, hope you can help.

I have a CX F award as follow for 67.5K miles (CX)

SFO-HKG-BKK

But needed to change the date and the only availability was via YVR.

New award as follow (AS-JL-CX)

SFO-SEA-YVR-NRT-(HND)-HKG-BKK. - Connection time in YVR is just over 3 hours. Connection time in TYO is less than 24 hours.

Auto priced at 80K + plus $150 change fee.

I said, since it's same origin and destination, shouldn't it be the same amount of miles 67.5K?

Agent #1 checked with rate desk and agreed that same origin and destination, so should be same amount of miles, just the $150 change fee for changing carriers. I agreed, paid the $150 and waiting for it to be ticketed.

But, I just noticed my account is being charged for 80K miles, 67.5K and 12.5K.

Call back.

Agent #2 says the reason I'm charged the extra 12.5K was for the AS segments since they are not Oneworld, and I'm also going the wrong direction (whatever that means) and I've also exceeded the MPH. I checked expertflyer, the MPH is 11882, that is well under the mileage.

I'm wondering who's right? I appreciate any advises.
                    "Love many, trust few, do wrong to none" - Yau-Man

Comment

Imm2b, if you were quoted a specific number of miles, I'd expect AA to honor that number. In fact there are DOT rules on point, plus simple principles of contract law (offer and acceptance). It's hard to see AA properly quoting one price (in dollars, AAdvantage miles, or any other form of payment) and later charging a different amount.

Comment

Originally posted by bedelman View Post
                        Imm2b, if you were quoted a specific number of miles, I'd expect AA to honor that number. In fact there are DOT rules on point, plus simple principles of contract law (offer and acceptance). It's hard to see AA properly quoting one price (in dollars, AAdvantage miles, or any other form of payment) and later charging a different amount.
                        Thanks bedelman! I have sent an email to AA Customer Relations. Waiting to hear back from them. If they don't resolve the issue, I may take it to DOT. They can easily pull the recording from my conversation with the agent as well. Hoping we don't have to go that far.
                        "Love many, trust few, do wrong to none" - Yau-Man

Comment

Originally posted by imm2b View Post
                          Jon, hope you can help.

I have a CX F award as follow for 67.5K miles (CX)

SFO-HKG-BKK

But needed to change the date and the only availability was via YVR.

New award as follow (AS-JL-CX)

SFO-SEA-YVR-NRT-(HND)-HKG-BKK. - Connection time in YVR is just over 3 hours. Connection time in TYO is less than 24 hours.

Auto priced at 80K + plus $150 change fee.

I said, since it's same origin and destination, shouldn't it be the same amount of miles 67.5K?

Agent #1 checked with rate desk and agreed that same origin and destination, so should be same amount of miles, just the $150 change fee for changing carriers. I agreed, paid the $150 and waiting for it to be ticketed.

But, I just noticed my account is being charged for 80K miles, 67.5K and 12.5K.

Call back.

Agent #2 says the reason I'm charged the extra 12.5K was for the AS segments since they are not Oneworld, and I'm also going the wrong direction (whatever that means) and I've also exceeded the MPH. I checked expertflyer, the MPH is 11882, that is well under the mileage.

I'm wondering who's right? I appreciate any advises.
                          I'd say that they are definitely correct that the new award is more miles (2 awards), but that they obviously shouldn't have taken those miles w/o permission.

Comment

I am seeing reports that some <SWP>-(QR)-xDOH-(QR)-<Africa> and/or V.V. awards have been booked recently as one award each way.

Is this like a mistake by the AAgent or a recent addition to the exceptions> Iif not a mistake nor a recent change, then I must have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by serfty View Post
                              I am seeing reports that some <SWP>-(QR)-xDOH-(QR)-<Africa> and/or V.V. awards have been booked recently as one award each way.

Is this like a mistake by the AAgent or a recent addition to the exceptions> Iif not a mistake nor a recent change, then I must have missed it.
                              Crazy as it sounds, I just saw this post! How did that ever turn out?

Comment

Working...
                              X