X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redone Rapid Rewards

Looks generally better for the frequent flier (YMMV):
    http://www.southwest.com/html/travel...1AALLNEW110106

A-List Preferred now gives free in-flight wifi. What a lovely amenity.

Given AA's new position as third-largest US carrier, I wonder whether AA might want to consider some variation of RR's most distinctive benefits -- to my eye, companion pass and in-flight wifi (though I guess others might say lack of capacity controls is just as important; I figure that's available with Standard awards rather than Savers). Surely, they'd be domestic-only benefits. Maybe for EXPs who qualify on points, or super-EXP's with 150K or 200K EQP? Would certainly provide a differentiation from UA and DL. Could they help keep business otherwise defecting to UA and DL? I don't know. If competitors have nonstop service and AA doesn't, I doubt these could keep the most demanding customers. But in markets with multiple nonstop carriers, these could tip the balance towards AA.

Comment

Originally posted by bedelman View Post
      A-List Preferred now gives free in-flight wifi. What a lovely amenity.

Given AA's new position as third-largest US carrier, I wonder whether AA might want to consider some variation of RR's most distinctive benefits -- to my eye, companion pass and in-flight wifi (though I guess others might say lack of capacity controls is just as important; I figure that's available with Standard awards rather than Savers). Surely, they'd be domestic-only benefits. Maybe for EXPs who qualify on points, or super-EXP's with 150K or 200K EQP? Would certainly provide a differentiation from UA and DL. Could they help keep business otherwise defecting to UA and DL? I don't know. If competitors have nonstop service and AA doesn't, I doubt these could keep the most demanding customers. But in markets with multiple nonstop carriers, these could tip the balance towards AA.
      The thing about the new RR is that it ties to points earned to cash ticket price. Be careful what you wish for !!

Comment

Eamus: Indeed. Hence my suggestion of limiting the benefits to folks qualifying on points -- or offering some other special benefit to folks qualifying on points. Clearly that suggestion has some pros and cons. But it might allow for some high-value benefits that AA would not be inclined to grant to EQM qualifiers.

Comment

I totally agree that EXP (which I am not and never have been) could stand to be "more worthwhile", at least from my outside observation. It seems to be a no-brainer that some super-valuable flyers could be courted with all sorts of benefits.

I once did a calculation of how much I spent on hotels over a 5 year period and it beggars belief even though I am a 4 star kind of a guy. It just crushed the amount I spent on all airlines combined over that period. I am still waiting for Starwood to work out that long-term loyalty should be rewarded.

Comment

Better for the FF on Higher Paid Fares. For me, I look for the cheapest fare.

Here is what I wrote of the 'other' site.

Well, I think I figured it out for me and it doesnt make sense to continue to fly as much as I do now. I fly mostly WGA fares, rarely fly Anytime and have only once flown BS. With that being said, it is simple to figure out:

Spend $100 * 60(points) * 10 flights = 6000 points total
            Redeam $100 = 6,000
            $1000 spend = $100 flight credit

A-List:
            Spend $100 * 75(points) * 8 flights = 6000 points total
            Redeam $100 = 6,000
            $800 spend = $100 flight credit

A-List +:
            Spend $100 * 120(points) * 5 flights = 6000 points total
            Redeam $100 = 6,000
            $500 spend = $100 flight credit

So to fly the exact same flight for 'free', it takes you 10 flights. Whereas before, anyone could fly 8 flights and expect to fly the same flight as before. Now add in the A-List bonus, you only have to fly 8 flights (same as now) or with A-List +, 5 Flights.

Now if I wanted to pay and fly the $100 flights and it cost $200 to fly one way to MCO with the family, it would take me 16 flights for just the one way.

As others have stated, if you fly enough to be A+ with BS fares, this will be great for you. It would then only take about 2 BS flights to get the one way.

Comment

Working...
            X