Chicago hotel suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago hotel suggestions?

I'm attending a convention in Chicago and, I'm embarrassed to say, have never really been there before. There are a huge number of convention hotels to choose from, mostly downtown (http://www.pittconhousing.com/area_map.asp). Any favorites around here both for the hotel itself and the accessibility to good restaurants for dinner? I have a very slight preference for Starwood but would be happy with other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. if this isn't the right forum, please move it!

Where is the convention? McCormick Place?
    Would you rather be right next to the convention center or more "in town"?

When my Mother visits, I often put her at the Westin at 900 N Michigan (give or take on the address). It's close to all of the shopping which she likes but that may not be convenient for you. The Westin by the House of Blues is nice too.

There are two W Hotels, one on the lake that used to be a Days Inn and one in the Loop. They're okay if you get a good rate.

The Sheraton on the river is a big convention hotel but not terrible.

I may be able to give you more specific advice depending on your preferences but I'm a local, so I don't stay at these hotels too often.

Feel free to PM me for more info but it might cost you some clam chowder upon landing

Comment

If you're near the Loop, the Renaissance & Westin River North are both nice. If you don't have a loyalty program with one of them, give an edge to the Renaissance (all else being equal) for convenience to CTA and (temporarily) for not being in a construction zone.

Comment

Thanks. The Westin River North it is. Looks like a good location and the price is right for the conference. In general, does anyone have a good site for hotel recommendations? I usually haven't had much choice in the matter, but more and more I'm being given options...

Comment

If you want to stay a little farther south (ie closer to the convention area) check out the Palmer House. It's a Hilton brand suitable for redemption and earning. I stayed there on an award last year and liked it quite a bit, very classy and old-school, and if you're going to McCormick area substantially closer than the hotels just on the north side of the river, on the south side of the loop and almost all the way east, near the park/lakefront. Wasn't truly spectacular, don't overpay, but well above average and unique and visually just stunning, on the inside at least.
          ________
          VAPORIZER REVIEW
          Last edited by c_stanley; 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_stanley View Post
            If you want to stay a little farther south (ie closer to the convention area) check out the Palmer House. It's a Hilton brand suitable for redemption and earning. I stayed there on an award last year and liked it quite a bit, very classy and old-school, and if you're going to McCormick area substantially closer than the hotels just on the north side of the river, on the south side of the loop and almost all the way east, near the park/lakefront. Wasn't truly spectacular, don't overpay, but well above average and unique and visually just stunning, on the inside at least.
            My experience with the Palmer House has been variable, to say the least. Some rooms are really really good, some really, really not. Newer hotels tend to have all rooms pretty much the same. Older hotels have some really small rooms, some really large. I like the Palmer House, my favorite hotel in Chicago, I keep going back, but I know that there is a risk of getting that broom closet. During one memorable winter storm off the lake, I saw something there I had never seen before - waves in the toilet.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Westin River North. Great hotel, used to be a fantastic Hotel Nikko. I enjoy the location on the river. Great restaurants nearby; Smith & Wollensky is right next door, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X