New HHonors redemption levels effective 1/15/2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HHonors redemption levels effective 1/15/2010

As has been speculated elsewhere, Hilton HHonors is making changes to its redemptions effective January 15 of next year. These changes include the elimination of the Opportunity Level and the addition of a new Category 7 level:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...eward/index.do

Rewards may be booked at the current rates until these changes take effect.

Mike

Good information, Mike.

It looks, on face, like this makes it a little (but not much) worse than Starwood for redemption. The general earnings are twice as much for HHonors, and the rates seem to be slightly more than double, for the most part.

The lack of any blackouts for Starwood (not true to Hilton) provides some advantages for Starwood. But the Hilton program is still quite good, even with this change.

Cheers.

Comment

Hilton does not have black out dates.

Originally posted by brp View Post
      Good information, Mike.

It looks, on face, like this makes it a little (but not much) worse than Starwood for redemption. The general earnings are twice as much for HHonors, and the rates seem to be slightly more than double, for the most part.

The lack of any blackouts for Starwood (not true to Hilton) provides some advantages for Starwood. But the Hilton program is still quite good, even with this change.

Cheers.

Comment

< Speculation >

The big shoe to drop will be the shifting of hotel categories to fill the void of the new category 7. So while the award chart has not changed that much the gotcha will be when your category 5 hotel goes to a category 6.

</ Speculation >

Comment

After looking at the new reward levels, it looks like everything just got shifted by one. i.e. Opportunity level is now level 1, level 1 is now level 2, etc.
          It seems that levels 3-5 (old 2-4) have all gone up by 5k per night with level 7 (old level 6) going up by 10k per night.

The real loss seems to be the vip rewards. For example, one of the old rewards was 7 nights at a level 6 property for 205k. That has now been raised to 37.5k points per night or 262,500 points for a level 7 (old level 6) stay.

I don't think that the new structure is out of line with other chains, I'll just miss what I thought was a great deal at some level 6 properties.

Comment

Originally posted by HNL View Post
            Hilton does not have black out dates.
            I've seen cases where I could not get a Hilton award, but could book a room. Only saw it once, to be fair. With Starwood (which I use far more often so far) I've only failed to get an award when I couldn't even get any room for cash either. I'm just saying.

There's also extensive discussion of this on the other site, in the Hilton HHonors forum.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by brp View Post
              I've seen cases where I could not get a Hilton award, but could book a room. Only saw it once, to be fair. With Starwood (which I use far more often so far) I've only failed to get an award when I couldn't even get any room for cash either. I'm just saying.
              I'd also note that blackout dates are not the same thing as capacity controls -- Hilton allows awards to be booked on any date (meaning no blackouts), but that doesn't necessarily mean that award availability will be there.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by nako View Post
                I'd also note that blackout dates are not the same thing as capacity controls -- Hilton allows awards to be booked on any date (meaning no blackouts), but that doesn't necessarily mean that award availability will be there.

Mike
                You are absolutely correct. I did use the wrong term. It's what Starwood calls it, and I fell into their terminology. In their case, if there's a room available, you can book with points. So, no capacity controls there. (Maybe if it's only the presidential suite available it might not work, but it doesn't have to be just standard rooms).

Cheers.

Comment

Reminder bump

Today is the last day that awards can be booked at the old rates. If you have firm plans that can be booked for the next year or so, getting in at the old redemption rates isn't a bad thing, given the wholesale category changes that appear to accompany the redemption level increases.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X